Contents on 24 December '09
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- five observing facilities
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page
- Earth's Busy Neighborhood Traffic Report
- Ephemerides for risk-rated and nearby objects
- News image catalog
- Old & new CRT Archive
- Old News Archive & Small Objects Archive
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
NEOCP Activity on 24 December '09
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 2 listings: 2 new
When last checked at 2358 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's Near Earth Object discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had two new listings. Both of these were "one nighters."
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object at Suno Observatory by Birtwhistle et al.
New MPECs on 24 December '09
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2358 UTC, there have been two MPECs posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- MPEC 2009-Y47 time-stamped "04:06 UT" - 2009 YD7 - see below
- MPEC 2009-Y48 time-stamped "07:11 UT" - Daily Orbit Update
- K09X02R 2009 XR2 (arc=10 days, H=19.1 ~513m) from Hamamatsu-Yuto Obs. (Dec. 23.58-59p11 & 23.68-69p2)
- K09W25W 2009 WW25 (arc=98 days, H=20.7 ~245m) from the Catalina Sky Survey (CSS) (Dec. 24.09-11p4)
- K06U00R 2006 UR (arc=2 opp, H=19.3 ~467m) from Hamamatsu-Yuto Obs. (Dec. 23.73-75p8)
- K05M00C 2005 MC (Q=4.167 AU, arc=3 opp, H=16.5 ~1.70 km) from Hamamatsu-Yuto Obs. (Dec. 23.76-79p10)
- K02X14N 2002 XN14 (arc=2 opp, H=20.1 ~323m) from Hamamatsu-Yuto Obs. (Dec. 23.56p2 & 23.64-66p4)
- K02W00P 2002 WP (arc=3 opp, H=18.4 ~708m) from Hamamatsu-Yuto Obs. (Dec. 23.53p2)
- L7796 217796 2000 TO64 from the Siding Spring Survey (SSS) (Dec. 23.48-50p3)
- 04015 4015 Wilson-Harrington (1979 VA) from Montseny Obs. (Dec. 19.83-86p4) and CSS (Dec. 24.08-09p4)
MPEC 2009-Y47 - "04:06 UT" - 2009 YD7
- K09Y07D 2009 YD7 (q=13.386 AU, Q=230.137 AU, H=8.7 ~61.6 km) was discovered at 0101 UT on 16 Dec. by La Silla, which observed it at Nov. 13.21p1, 13.25p1, Dec. 11.08p1, 11.14p1, 14.08p1, 14.15p1, 16.04p1, 16.13p1, 16.21p1, 17.03p1, 17.12p1, and 17.16p1.
Observers on 24 December '09
Five observing facilities appear in today's MPECs.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|703||Catalina Sky Survey (CSS) in Arizona, 2 in MPEC 2009-Y48 -- 2009 WW25, 4015|
|379||Hamamatsu-Yuto Obs. in Japan, 5 in MPEC 2009-Y48 -- 2009 XR2, 2006 UR, 2005 MC, 2002 XN14, 2002 WP|
|809||La Silla in Chile, 1 in MPEC 2009-Y47 -- 2009 YD7|
|B06||Montseny Obs. in Spain, 1 in MPEC 2009-Y48 -- 4015|
|E12||Siding Spring Survey in New South Wales, 1 in MPEC 2009-Y48 -- 217796|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 24 December '09
At last check (NEODyS and JPL at 2358 UTC) there was no risk monitoring news to report yet today. Visit the CRT to view activity in the last four weeks and our ephemerides page for a complete list of risk-rated objects under current observation or having recent news.