Contents on 18 December '08
- Radar Astrometry -- six objects
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- eight observing facilities
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page
- Earth's Busy Neighborhood Traffic Report
- Ephemerides for risk-rated and nearby objects
- Old & new CRT Archive
- Old News Archive & Small Objects Archive
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
Radar Astrometry on 18 December '08
Radar observation of six objects
Data update noted at 0222 UTC when the database was dated 17 Dec.
- 2008 EV5 from Goldstone DSS-14 70m antenna (Dec. 17.40 range) - see links
- 2007 TU24 from Arecibo (Feb. 2.29 range) - see links
- 2001 CP36 from Arecibo (2001 Feb. 20.12 velocity)
- 90403 2003 YE45 from Arecibo (July 6.78 velocity) - see links
- 53319 1999 JM8 from Arecibo (May 29.44 velocity, 30.43 velocity, 31.43 velocity, June 1.43 velocity & 2.44 velocity)
- 4179 Toutatis (1989 AC) from DSS-14 (1992 Dec. 2.90 velocity, 3.81 range, 4.76 range, 5.73 range, 8.61 range, 9.73 range, 10.71 range, 11.40 range, 12.39 velocity, 13.34 range, 15.33 range, 16.30 velocity, 17.28 range & 18.30 range), DSS-14 transmit with Goldstone DSS-13 34m antenna receive (1992 Dec. 6.69 range), and Arecibo (1992 Dec. 19.32 range)
NEOCP Activity on 18 December '08
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page is currently empty
The NEOCP is currently empty. There was one listing noted earlier today.
New MPECs on 18 December '08
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2358 UTC, there have been four MPECs issued today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- MPEC 2008-Y04 time-stamped "04:17 UT" - Comets C/2008 S5, 2008 S6, 2008 S7, 2008 S8 (SOHO) - see below
- MPEC 2008-Y05 time-stamped "07:06 UT" - Daily Orbit Update - see below
- MPEC 2008-Y06 time-stamped "16:27 UT" - Comets C/2003 Q1, 2003 Q6, 2008 X5, 2008 X6 (SOHO) - see below
- MPEC 2008-Y07 time-stamped "23:35 UT" - 2008 SO266, 2008 SP266
MPEC 2008-Y07 - "23:35 UT" - 2008 SO266, 2008 SP266
- K08SQ6P 2008 SP266 was discovered at 0750 UT on 26 Sept. from Mt. Palomar, where it was observed at Sept. 26.33p1, 26.37p1, 28.23p1, and 28.27p1. The discovery was confirmed by Cerro Tololo Inter-American Obs. (CTIO) (Oct. 20.03p1, 20.13p1, Nov. 30.03p1 & 30.16p1).
- K08SQ6O 2008 SO266 was discovered at 0944 UT on 24 Sept. from Mt. Palomar, where it was observed at Sept. 24.41-45p2 and 25.29-34p2. The discovery was confirmed by CTIO (Oct. 20.01p1, 20.12p1, Nov. 30.05p1 & 30.19p1).
MPEC 2008-Y06 - "16:27 UT" - Comets C/2003 Q1, 2003 Q6, 2008 X5, 2008 X6 (SOHO)
- CK08X060 C/2008 X6 from the LASCO Coronagraph 2 aboard the Solar & Heliospheric Obs. (SOHO) (Dec. 7.50-65p20)
- CK08X050 C/2008 X5 from SOHO C2 (Dec. 7.02-10p14)
- CK03Q060 C/2003 Q6 (SOHO) from SOHO C2 (2003 Aug. 26.56-71p22)
- CK03Q010 C/2003 Q1 (SOHO) from SOHO C2 (2003 Aug. 20.91-04p18)
- K08W60L 2008 WL60 (arc=25 days, H=18.1 ~812m) from Peschiera del Garda Obs. (Dec. 17.97p2)
- K08V14K 2008 VK14 (arc=40 days, H=19.3 ~467m) from Peschiera del Garda Obs. (Dec. 17.90-94p3)
- K08V04U 2008 VU4 (Q=4.212 AU, arc=32 days, H=17.6 ~1.02 km) from Peschiera del Garda Obs. (Dec. 8.90-94p4)
- K08S01Q 2008 SQ1 (Q=4.682 AU, arc=2 opp, H=18.5 ~676m) from Peschiera del Garda Obs. (Dec. 8.85-87p3 & 17.84-87p4)
- K08E05V 2008 EV5 (arc=2 opp, H=20.2 ~309m) from the Siding Spring Survey (SSS) (Dec. 17.73-75p13)
- A1873 101873 1999 NC5 from SSS (Dec. 17.54-57p4)
MPEC 2008-Y04 - "04:17 UT" - Comets C/2008 S5, 2008 S6, 2008 S7, 2008 S8 (SOHO)
- CK08S080 C/2008 S8 from the LASCO Coronagraph 3 aboard the Solar & Heliospheric Obs. (SOHO) (Sept. 30.18-28p8, 30.32-40p10, 30.45-53p10, 30.57-64p8 & 30.68p2) and SOHO C2 (Sept. 30.67-75p14)
- CK08S070 C/2008 S7 from SOHO C3 (Sept. 29.10-11p4, 29.18-28p12, 29.32-40p10, 29.45-53p10 & 29.57-61p6) and SOHO C2 (Sept. 29.64-71p12)
- CK08S060 C/2008 S6 from SOHO C3 (Sept. 28.39-40p4 & 28.45-49p6) and SOHO C2 (Sept. 28.62-64p6)
- CK08S050 C/2008 S5 from SOHO C3 (Sept. 19.70p2, 19.74-93p18, 19.97-03p8 & 20.07-11p6)
Observers on 18 December '08
Eight observing facilities appear in today's MPECs.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|251||Arecibo in Puerto Rico, 5 in radar -- 2007 TU24, 2001 CP36, 90403, 53319, 4179|
|807||Cerro Tololo Inter-American Obs. (CTIO) in Chile, 2 in MPEC 2008-Y07 -- 2008 SP266, 2008 SO266|
|252||Goldstone DSS-13 34m antenna in southern California, 1 in radar -- 4179|
|253||Goldstone DSS-14 70m antenna in southern California, 2 in radar -- 2008 EV5, 4179|
|675||Mt. Palomar in southern California, 2 in MPEC 2008-Y07 -- 2008 SP266, 2008 SO266|
|A53||Peschiera del Garda Obs. in Italy, 4 in MPEC 2008-Y05 -- 2008 WL60, 2008 VU4, 2008 VK14, 2008 SQ1|
|E12||Siding Spring Survey (SSS) in New South Wales, 2 in MPEC 2008-Y05 -- 2008 EV5, 101873|
|2492||LASCO Coronagraph 2 (SOHO C2) aboard the Solar & Heliospheric Obs. (SOHO) in Earth-Sun L1 HALO orbit, 7 in MPECs 2008-Y04 & 2008-Y06 -- C/2008 X6, C/2008 X5, C/2008 S8, C/2008 S7, C/2008 S6, C/2003 Q6, C/2003 Q1|
|2493||LASCO Coronagraph 3 (SOHO C3) aboard the Solar & Heliospheric Obs. (SOHO) in Earth-Sun L1 HALO orbit, 4 in MPEC 2008-Y04 -- C/2008 S8, C/2008 S7, C/2008 S6, C/2008 S5|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 18 December '08
At last check (NEODyS and JPL at 2358 UTC) there was no risk monitoring news to report yet today. Visit the CRT to view activity in the last four weeks and our ephemerides page for a complete list of risk-rated objects under current observation or having recent news.
Chronology on 18 December '08
Times are UTC for when items were noted or added by The Tracking News.
|2358||Grabbed MPEC 2008-Y07 - 2008 SO266, 2008 SP266 - see above|
|1703||Grabbed MPEC 2008-Y06 - Comets C/2003 Q1, 2003 Q6, 2008 X5, 2008 X6 (SOHO) - see above|
|1422||Grabbed MPEC 2008-Y05 - Daily Orbit Update - see above|
Noted that the NEOCP has become empty
|0619||Noted that the NEOCP has become active|
|0512||Grabbed MPEC 2008-Y04 - Comets C/2008 S5, 2008 S6, 2008 S7, 2008 S8 (SOHO) - see above|
|0222||Noted Radar Astrometry database update - see above|