Contents on 8 July '08
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- seven observing facilities
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page
- Earth's Busy Neighborhood Traffic Report
- Ephemerides for risk-rated and nearby objects
- Old & new CRT Archive
- Old News Archive & Small Objects Archive
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
NEOCP Activity on 8 July '08
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 1 listing: 1 updated
When last checked at 2358 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's NEO discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had one updated listing. This was a "one nighter."
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object by Birtwhistle et al. at Suno Observatory.
New MPECs on 8 July '08
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2358 UTC, there have been two MPECs issued today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- MPEC 2008-N20 time-stamped "02:00 UT" - Comet 144P/Kushida - see below
- MPEC 2008-N21 time-stamped "06:07 UT" - Daily Orbit Update
- Observations of small asteroids (H>22.0)
- K08M01Q 2008 MQ1 (arc=6 days, H=24.2 ~49m) from LINEAR (July 1.37p1)
- Observations of other objects
- K08M01N 2008 MN1 (i=37.1°, arc=8 days, H=20.1 ~323m) from Tiki Obs. (July 7.57-60p2)
- K08M01H 2008 MH1 (Q=4.281 AU, arc=9 days, H=18.3 ~741m) from Tiki Obs. (July 7.32p1 & 7.38p1)
- K08J35T 2008 JT35 (Q=4.080 AU, arc=63 days, H=21.3 ~186m) from Drebach Obs. (June 30.97-98p6) and Petit Jean Mtn. South Obs. (PJMSO) (July 7.23-24p7)
- K08J08A 2008 JA8 (arc=63 days, H=18.1 ~812m) from Tiki Obs. (July 7.61p1 & 7.65p1)
- K07L00L 2007 LL (arc=2 opp, H=20.5 ~269m) from Drebach Obs. (June 30.92-93p4)
- K05T45U 2005 TU45 (arc=3 opp, H=17.2 ~1.23 km) from Drebach Obs. (June 30.91-92p4), Green Island Obs. (July 6.84p1 & 6.89-93p2), and PJMSO (July 7.33-34p5)
- K03O04B 2003 OB4 (Q=4.516 AU, arc=2 opp, H=19.2 ~490m) from Drebach Obs. (June 30.94-95p4)
- K03N00C 2003 NC (q=0.274 AU, arc=4 opp, H=19.3 ~467m) from PJMSO (July 7.26-27p5)
- K01XQ6W 2001 XW266 (arc=3 opp, H=19.4 ~446m) from Drebach Obs. (June 30.96-97p4) and PJMSO (July 7.31-32p6)
- K01T45A 2001 TA45 (arc=4 opp, H=19.1 ~513m) from PJMSO (July 7.28-29p5)
- K00U16T 2000 UT16 (arc=4 opp, H=16.6 ~1.62 km) from PJMSO (July 7.30-31p5)
MPEC 2008-N20 - "02:00 UT" - Comet 144P/Kushida
Observers on 8 July '08
Seven observing facilities appear in today's MPECs.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|113||Drebach Obs. in Germany, 5 in MPEC 2008-N21 -- 2008 JT35, 2007 LL, 2005 TU45, 2003 OB4, 2001 XW266|
|B34||Green Island Obs. in Cyprus, 1 in MPEC 2008-N21 -- 2005 TU45|
|704||LINEAR in New Mexico, 1 in MPEC 2008-N21 -- 2008 MQ1|
|568||Mauna Kea in Hawaii, 1 in MPEC 2008-N20 -- 144P|
|H45||Petit Jean Mtn. South Obs. (PJMSO) in Arkansas, 6 in MPEC 2008-N21 -- 2008 JT35, 2005 TU45, 2003 NC, 2001 XW266, 2001 TA45, 2000 UT16|
|245||Spitzer Space Telescope in heliocentric orbit trailing Earth, 1 in MPEC 2008-N20 -- 144P|
|F85||Tiki Obs. in Tahiti, 3 in MPEC 2008-N21 -- 2008 MN1, 2008 MH1, 2008 JA8|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 8 July '08
At last check (NEODyS and JPL at 2358 UTC) there was no risk monitoring news to report yet today. Visit the CRT to view activity in the last four weeks and our ephemerides page for a complete list of risk-rated objects under current observation or having recent news.