Contents on 30 June '08
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- thirteen observing facilities
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page
- Earth's Busy Neighborhood Traffic Report
- Ephemerides for risk-rated and nearby objects
- Old & new CRT Archive
- Old News Archive & Small Objects Archive
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
NEOCP Activity on 30 June '08
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 7 listings: 3 new, 4 updated
When last checked at 2358 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's NEO discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had three new and four updated listings. Of these, six were "one nighters." So far The Tracking News has counted a total of twelve objects listed on the NEOCP at some point today.
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object by Birtwhistle et al. at Suno Observatory.
New MPECs on 30 June '08
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2358 UTC, there have been five MPECs issued today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- MPEC 2008-M45 time-stamped "02:21 UT" - 2008 MZ - see below
- MPEC 2008-M46 time-stamped "06:07 UT" - Daily Orbit Update - see below
- MPEC 2008-M47 time-stamped "12:17 UT" - 2008 MG1 - see below
- MPEC 2008-M48 time-stamped "12:21 UT" - 2008 MH1 - see below
- MPEC 2008-M49 time-stamped "17:02 UT" - 2008 MN1
MPEC 2008-M49 - "17:02 UT" - 2008 MN1
- K08M01N 2008 MN1 (i=37.1°, H=20.1 ~323m) was discovered at 1509 UT on 29 June by the Siding Spring Survey (SSS), which observed it at June 29.63-66p4, 29.77p2, 29.84p1, and 30.63-67p4. The discovery was confirmed by Farpoint Obs. (June 30.33-34p4), Magdalena Ridge Obs. (MRO) (June 30.37-40p5), Jim Young via Table Mtn. Obs. (June 30.47-48p4), and Mt. John Obs. (June 30.53-54p4).
MPEC 2008-M48 - "12:21 UT" - 2008 MH1
- K08M01H 2008 MH1 (Q=4.728 AU, H=18.4 ~708m) was discovered at 1300 UT on 28 June by SSS, which observed it at June 28.54-57p3, 29.34p1, 29.53p1, and 29.62p1. The discovery was confirmed by CEAMIG-REA (June 29.02-03p3), Astronomical Research Obs. (ARO) (June 29.11p2), Farpoint Obs. (June 29.13-16p4 & 30.16-17p3), Young/Table Mtn. (June 29.20-22p4), and Mt. John Obs. (June 29.40-41p4 & 30.40p3).
MPEC 2008-M47 - "12:17 UT" - 2008 MG1
- K08M01G 2008 MG1 (q=0.140 AU, H=19.8 ~371m) was discovered at 1716 UT on 27 June by SSS, which observed it at June 27.72-75p4, 28.48-49p2, 28.80p2, 29.47p1, and 29.82p1. The discovery was confirmed by Tiki Obs. (June 28.60-62p2) and Mt. John Obs. (June 29.42-43p3 & 30.46p4).
- Observations of recently (no longer) risk-listed objects
- K08K05Z 2008 KZ5 (arc=32 days, H=20.0 ~339m) from ARO (June 26.19p1 & 29.14p3) and Great Shefford Obs. (June 29.97-98p3)
- Observations of other objects
- K08L16Q 2008 LQ16 (arc=16 days, H=20.3 ~295m) from ARO (June 27.24-26p6) and Guidestar Obs. (June 29.92-95p3)
- K08J26R 2008 JR26 (arc=45 days, H=19.9 ~355m) from ARO (June 26.21-22p2)
- K08H66E 2008 HE66 (arc=58 days, H=21.7 ~155m) from ARO (June 26.18-20p3)
- K08H38B 2008 HB38 (arc=57 days, H=21.1 ~204m) from ARO (June 26.13-14p3)
- K08E69C 2008 EC69 (Q=4.458 AU, arc=2 opp, H=17.2 ~1.23 km) from SSS (June 29.74-77p4)
- K08C23P 2008 CP23 (arc=146 days, H=19.6 ~407m) from ARO (June 26.15p2)
- K07X20J 2007 XJ20 (arc=3 opp, H=18.4 ~708m) from SSS (June 29.74-76p4)
- K05M00B 2005 MB (i=41.4°, q=0.204 AU, arc=3 opp, H=17.1 ~1.29 km) from SSS (June 29.58-61p3)
- K04D00C 2004 DC (arc=2 opp, H=18.2 ~776m) from SSS (June 29.37-39p4)
- K03N00C 2003 NC (q=0.274 AU, arc=4 opp, H=19.3 ~467m) from Tiki Obs. (June 29.51-53p3)
- K00M01U 2000 MU1 (arc=5 opp, H=19.8 ~371m) from Inastars Obs. (June 29.96-97p4)
- I4990 184990 2006 KE89 from Inastars Obs. (June 29.91-92p5)
- H3689 173689 2001 PK9 from Los Molinos Obs. (June 29.18-22p5)
- G2723 162723 2000 VM2 from Los Molinos Obs. (June 29.12-14p5)
- E1765 141765 2002 MP3 from SSS (June 29.78-80p4)
- D9289 139289 2001 KR1 from Tentlingen Obs. (June 28.89-98p5)
- 08567 8567 1996 HW1 from Los Molinos Obs. (June 29.28-31p5)
- 07482 7482 1994 PC1 from Los Molinos Obs. (June 29.17p5)
- 07350 7350 1993 VA from SSS (June 29.39-40p4)
- 00887 887 Alinda (1918 DB) from SSS (June 29.63-66p4)
MPEC 2008-M45 - "02:21 UT" - 2008 MZ
- K08M00Z 2008 MZ (Q=4.215 AU, H=18.0 ~851m) was discovered at 1724 UT on 27 June by SSS, which observed it at June 15.60-63p4, 27.73-76p4, 28.64p3, and 29.82p3.
Observers on 30 June '08
Thirteen observing facilities appear in today's MPECs.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|H55||Astronomical Research Obs. (ARO) in Illinois, 7 in MPECs 2008-M46 & 2008-M48 -- 2008 MH1, 2008 LQ16, 2008 KZ5, 2008 JR26, 2008 HE66, 2008 HB38, 2008 CP23|
|I77||CEAMIG-REA in Brazil, 1 in MPEC 2008-M48 -- 2008 MH1|
|734||Farpoint Obs. in Kansas, 2 in MPECs 2008-M48 & 2008-M49 -- 2008 MN1, 2008 MH1|
|J95||Great Shefford Obs. in England, 1 in MPEC 2008-M46 -- 2008 KZ5|
|A17||Guidestar Obs. in Germany, 1 in MPEC 2008-M46 -- 2008 LQ16|
|B15||Inastars Obs. in Germany, 2 in MPEC 2008-M46 -- 2000 MU1, 184990|
|844||Los Molinos Obs. in Uruguay, 4 in MPEC 2008-M46 -- 173689, 162723, 8567, 7482|
|H01||Magdalena Ridge Obs. in New Mexico, 1 in MPEC 2008-M49 -- 2008 MN1|
|474||Mt. John Obs. in New Zealand, 3 in MPECs 2008-M47, 2008-M48 & 2008-M49 -- 2008 MN1, 2008 MH1, 2008 MG1|
|E12||Siding Spring Survey (SSS) in New South Wales, 11 in MPECs 2008-M45, 2008-M46, 2008-M47, 2008-M48 & 2008-M49 -- 2008 MZ, 2008 MN1, 2008 MH1, 2008 MG1, 2008 EC69, 2007 XJ20, 2005 MB, 2004 DC, 141765, 7350, 887|
|6735||Jim Young via Table Mtn. Obs. in southern California, 2 in MPECs 2008-M48 & 2008-M49 -- 2008 MN1, 2008 MH1|
|A16||Tentlingen Obs. in Switzerland, 1 in MPEC 2008-M46 -- 139289|
|F85||Tiki Obs. in Tahiti, 2 in MPECs 2008-M46 & 2008-M47 -- 2008 MG1, 2003 NC|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 30 June '08
At last check (NEODyS at 2358 and JPL at 2359 UTC) there was no risk monitoring news to report yet today. Visit the CRT to view activity in the last four weeks and our ephemerides page for a complete list of risk-rated objects under current observation or having recent news.
Chronology on 30 June '08
Times are UTC for when items were noted or added by The Tracking News.
|1726||Grabbed MPEC 2008-M49 - 2008 MN1 - see above|
|1618||Grabbed MPEC 2008-M48 - 2008 MH1 - see above|
|1521||Grabbed MPEC 2008-M46 - Daily Orbit Update - see above|
Grabbed MPEC 2008-M47 - 2008 MG1 - see above
|0417||Grabbed MPEC 2008-M45 - 2008 MZ - see above|