Contents on 23 March '08
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- seven observing facilities
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page
- Earth's Busy Neighborhood Traffic Report
- Ephemerides for risk-rated and nearby objects
- Old & new CRT Archive
- Old News Archive & Small Objects Archive
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
NEOCP Activity on 23 March '08
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 2 listings: 2 updated
When last checked at 2353 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's NEO discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had two updated listings. Of these, one was a "one nighter." So far The Tracking News has counted a total of four objects listed on the NEOCP at some point today.
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object by Birtwhistle et al. at Suno Observatory.
New MPECs on 23 March '08
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2357 UTC, there has been one MPEC issued today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Observations of recently (no longer) risk-listed objects
- K08E69D 2008 ED69 (i=36.3°, Q=5.068 AU, arc=11 days, H=16.7 ~1.55 km) from La Murta Obs. (March 22.04-05p3)
- K08D00E 2008 DE (arc=40 days, H=19.4 ~446m) from Petit Jean Mtn. South Obs. (PJMSO) (March 22.28-29p7) and Great Shefford Obs. (March 23.03-04p2)
- Observations of small asteroids (H>22.0)
- K08E85E 2008 EE85 (arc=10 days, H=22.5 ~107m) from Jim Young via Table Mtn. Obs. (March 22.32-34p4) and Great Shefford Obs. (March 22.86-88p3)
- K08E09E 2008 EE9 (arc=7 days, H=22.4 ~112m) from Schiaparelli Obs. (March 14.01-03p3)
- Observations of almost-small asteroids (21.7<H<=22.0)
- K07T66D 2007 TD66 (arc=89 days, H=21.8 ~148m) from David Tholen's team on Mauna Kea (Jan. 9.26-27p2 at R=22.4-7)
- Observations of other objects
- K08E09M 2008 EM9 (q=0.291 AU, arc=13 days, H=17.3 ~1.17 km) from Young/Table Mtn. (March 22.35-36p4)
- K08C72L 2008 CL72 (arc=48 days, H=19.8 ~371m) from Desert Moon Obs. (March 22.33p1, 22.38p1 & 22.43p1)
- K08A00E 2008 AE (arc=2 opp, H=19.8 ~371m) from PJMSO (March 22.26-27p6)
- K07V04Q 2007 VQ4 (arc=3 opp, H=15.8 ~2.34 km, q=1.271 AU) from PJMSO (March 22.27-28p5)
- K05X77V 2005 XV77 (arc=2 opp, H=20.7 ~245m) from Tholen et al. (Jan. 8.27p2 & 9.26p2)
- 01866 1866 Sisyphus (1972 XA) from PJMSO (March 22.31p5)
Observers on 23 March '08
Seven observing facilities appear in today's MPEC.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|448||Desert Moon Obs. in New Mexico, 1 in MPEC 2008-F23 -- 2008 CL72|
|J95||Great Shefford Obs. in England, 2 in MPEC 2008-F23 -- 2008 EE85, 2008 DE|
|J76||La Murta Obs. in Spain, 1 in MPEC 2008-F23 -- 2008 ED69|
|5682||David Tholen's team on Mauna Kea in Hawaii, 2 in MPEC 2008-F23 -- 2007 TD66, 2005 XV77|
|H45||Petit Jean Mtn. South Obs. (PJMSO) in Arkansas, 4 in MPEC 2008-F23 -- 2008 DE, 2008 AE, 2007 VQ4, 1866|
|204||Schiaparelli Obs. in Italy, 1 in MPEC 2008-F23 -- 2008 EE9|
|6735||Jim Young via Table Mtn. Obs. in southern California, 2 in MPEC 2008-F23 -- 2008 EM9, 2008 EE85|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 23 March '08
At last check (NEODyS at 2353 and JPL at 2354 UTC) there was no risk monitoring news to report yet today. See the CRT for activity in the last four weeks and our ephemerides page for a list of risk-rated objects under current observation or having recent news.
Chronology on 23 March '08
Times are UTC for when items were noted or added by The Tracking News.
|1547||Grabbed MPEC 2008-F23 - Daily Orbit Update - see above|