Contents on 26 January '08
- Radar Astrometry -- one object
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- one object
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page
- Earth's Busy Neighborhood Traffic Report
- Ephemerides for risk-rated and nearby objects
- Old & new CRT Archive
- Old News Archive & Small Objects Archive
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
Radar Astrometry on 26 January '08
Radar observation of one object
Data addition noted at 1528 UTC when the database was dated 26 Jan.
NEOCP Activity on 26 January '08
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 1 listing: 1 updated
When last checked at 2355 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's NEO discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had one updated listing. This was a "one nighter."
New MPECs on 26 January '08
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
There was one MPEC issued this day from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Observations of risk-listed objects
- K08A04F 2008 AF4 (arc=16 days, H=19.8 ~371m) from Greiner Research Obs. (Jan. 25.40-43p50), Montana Blanca Obs. (Jan. 25.87-88p3), and Suno Obs. (Jan. 26.06-07p6)
- Observations of other objects
- K07X20J 2007 XJ20 (arc=2 opp, H=18.4 ~708m) from the Mt. Lemmon Survey (MLS) (2005 Oct. 28.45-47p4)
- K07W55F 2007 WF55 (arc=53 days, H=19.1 ~513m) from Astronomical Research Obs. (ARO) (Jan. 23.06-07p3)
- K07V04Q 2007 VQ4 (arc=3 opp, H=15.8 ~2.34 km, q=1.271 AU) from Atlante Obs. (Jan. 26.07-08p3)
- K07T24U 2007 TU24 (arc=107 days, H=20.3 ~295m) from Schiaparelli Obs. (Jan. 24.76p3), KLENOT (Jan. 25.72-73p6), Klet Obs. (Jan. 25.74-75p2), and Chante-Perdrix Obs. (Jan. 25.77-78p8)
- K05T45U 2005 TU45 (arc=3 opp, H=17.1 ~1.29 km) from Schiaparelli Obs. (Jan. 19.92-94p3) and Balzaretto Obs. (Jan. 24.89-90p4)
- K04XG4P 2004 XP164 (arc=3 opp, H=17.5 ~1.07 km) from KLENOT (Jan. 25.76-78p9)
- H0891 170891 2004 TY16 from Balzaretto Obs. (Jan. 24.90-91p4)
- F3591 153591 2001 SN263 from Balzaretto Obs. (Jan. 24.93-94p4)
Observers on 26 January '08
Twelve observing facilities appeared in this day's MPEC.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|H55||Astronomical Research Obs. in Illinois, 1 in MPEC 2008-B50 -- 2007 WF55|
|J51||Atlante Obs. in the Canary Islands, 1 in MPEC 2008-B50 -- 2007 VQ4|
|A81||Balzaretto Obs. in Italy, 3 in MPEC 2008-B50 -- 2005 TU45, 170891, 153591|
|A77||Chante-Perdrix Obs. in France, 1 in MPEC 2008-B50 -- 2007 TU24|
|253||Goldstone DSS-14 70m antenna in southern California, 1 in radar -- 2007 TU24|
|H51||Greiner Research Obs. in Wisconsin, 1 in MPEC 2008-B50 -- 2008 AF4|
|246||KLENOT in the Czech Republic, 2 in MPEC 2008-B50 -- 2007 TU24, 2004 XP164|
|046||Klet Obs. in the Czech Republic, 1 in MPEC 2008-B50 -- 2007 TU24|
|J46||Montana Blanca Obs. in the Canary Islands, 1 in MPEC 2008-B50 -- 2008 AF4|
|G96||Mt. Lemmon Survey in Arizona, 1 in MPEC 2008-B50 -- 2007 XJ20|
|204||Schiaparelli Obs. in Italy, 2 in MPEC 2008-B50 -- 2007 TU24, 2005 TU45|
|147||Suno Obs. in Italy, 1 in MPEC 2008-B50 -- 2008 AF4|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 26 January '08
Notes for Today's Latest Risk Assessments
|2008 AF4||NEODyS||1528||2078-2089||9||1.54e-06||-3.51||-3.64||0||NEODyS: "Based on 280 optical observations (of which 3 are rejected as outliers) from 2008/01/10.397 to 2008/01/26.072."|
An impact solution, also known as a "virtual impactor" (VI), is not a prediction but rather a possibility derived from a variant orbit calculation that cannot be eliminated yet based on the existing data. Elimination can come quickly with just a little further observation or may take weeks or months, sometimes years. Once superceded or eliminated, a former impact solution has zero relevance to an object's risk. See Jon Giorgini's "Understanding Risk Pages" to learn more.
Chronology on 26 January '08
Times are UTC for when items were noted or added by The Tracking News.
|2039||The NEOCP has become active|
|1528||Noted that NEODyS has updated its 2008 AF4 risk assessment - see above|
Grabbed MPEC 2008-B50 - Daily Orbit Update - see above
Noted Radar Astrometry database addition