Small asteroid 2007 WD5 will pass through the orbit of Mars on January 30th and JPL announced yesterday a 1-in-75 chance that Mars may be in the same spot, taking a three-megaton hit. This illustration, courtesy of JPL, shows points relative to Mars that 2007 WD5 might occupy based on variant orbit solutions from observations spanning only 29 days. See news releases from NASA/JPL, JPL's NEO Program Office, the University of Arizona, and New Mexico Tech.
Contents on 22 December '07
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page
- Earth's Busy Neighborhood Traffic Report
- Ephemerides for risk-rated and nearby objects
- Old & new CRT Archive
- Old News Archive & Small Objects Archive
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days this year through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
NEOCP Activity on 22 December '07
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 2 listings: 1 new, 1 updated
When last checked at 2354 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's NEO discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had one new and one updated listing. Both of these were "one nighters."
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object by Birtwhistle et al. at Suno Observatory.
New MPECs on 22 December '07
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2354 UTC, there has been one MPEC issued today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Observations of recently (no longer) risk-listed objects
- K07Y00Z 2007 YZ (arc=4 days, H=19.9 ~355m) from Mandi Obs. (Dec. 21.92-93p3)
- Observations of other objects
- K07Y01X 2007 YX1 (Q=4.543 AU, arc=61 days, H=17.2 ~1.23 km) from Wildberg Obs. (Dec. 21.75-77p4)
- K07Y00H 2007 YH (arc=6 days, H=20.0 ~339m) from Wildberg Obs. (Dec. 21.84-85p4) and Mandi Obs. (Dec. 21.97-99p2)
- K07X16H 2007 XH16 (arc=12 days, H=19.5 ~426m) from AAAA Buenos Aires Obs. (Dec. 20.06-11p5)
- K07O03G 2007 OG3 (arc=155 days, H=18.3 ~741m) from Wildberg Obs. (Dec. 21.80p2)
- J98X09C 1998 XC9 (Q=4.212 AU, arc=3 opp, H=18.1 ~812m) from Wildberg Obs. (Dec. 21.72-73p5)
Observers on 22 December '07
Three observing facilities appear in today's MPEC.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|834||AAAA Buenos Aires Obs. in Argentina, 1 in MPEC 2007-Y41 -- 2007 XH16|
|B28||Mandi Obs. in Italy, 2 in MPEC 2007-Y41 -- 2007 YZ, 2007 YH|
|198||Wildberg Obs. in Germany, 4 in MPEC 2007-Y41 -- 2007 YX1, 2007 YH, 2007 OG3, 1998 XC9|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 22 December '07
At last check (NEODyS and JPL at 2354 UTC) there was no risk monitoring news to report yet today. See the CRT for activity in the last month.
Chronology on 22 December '07
Times are UTC for when items were noted or added by The Tracking News.
|1424||Grabbed MPEC 2007-Y41 - Daily Orbit Update - see above|