Contents on 13 December '07
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- one object
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page
- Earth's Busy Neighborhood Traffic Report
- Ephemerides for risk-rated and nearby objects
- Old & new CRT Archive
- Old News Archive & Small Objects Archive
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days this year through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
NEOCP Activity on 13 December '07
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 2 listings: 2 new
When last checked at 2354 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's NEO discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had two new listings. Both of these were "one nighters." So far The Tracking News has counted a total of three objects listed on the NEOCP at some point today.
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object by Birtwhistle et al. at Suno Observatory.
New MPECs on 13 December '07
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2354 UTC, there have been two MPECs issued today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- MPEC 2007-X54 time-stamped "07:11 UT" - Daily Orbit Update - see below
- MPEC 2007-X55 time-stamped "11:57 UT" - 2007 XF18
MPEC 2007-X55 - "11:57 UT" - 2007 XF18
- K07X18F 2007 XF18 (risk-listed, i=59.0°, H=20.6 ~257m) was discovered at 0455 UT on 12 Dec. by LINEAR, which observed it at Dec. 12.21-26p5. The discovery was confirmed by Great Shefford Obs. (Dec. 13.02-03p4), Heath Rhoades via Table Mtn. Obs. (Dec. 13.12-14p4), and Robert Hutsebaut via RAS Obs. Mayhill (Dec. 13.41p3).
- Observations of recently (no longer) risk-listed objects
- K07X16N 2007 XN16 (small asteroid, arc=2 days, H=25.5 ~27m) from North Obs. (Dec. 12.01p3)
- Observations of other objects
- K07U06S 2007 US6 (arc=3 opp, H=18.3 ~741m) from Green Island Obs. (Dec. 11.71p1 & 11.79-81p2)
- K07R12U 2007 RU12 (arc=91 days, H=20.0 ~339m) from LINEAR (Dec. 12.20-25p5)
- 66272 66272 1999 JW6 from Montana Blanca Obs. (Dec. 11.95-96p3)
- 54401 54401 2000 LM from Paus Obs. (Dec. 12.94p1)
- 18736 18736 1998 NU from LINEAR (Dec. 12.20-25p5)
Observers on 13 December '07
Eight observing facilities appear in today's MPECs.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|J95||Great Shefford Obs. in England, 1 in MPEC 2007-X55 -- 2007 XF18|
|B34||Green Island Obs. in Cyprus, 1 in MPEC 2007-X54 -- 2007 US6|
|704||LINEAR in New Mexico, 3 in MPECs 2007-X54 & 2007-X55 -- 2007 XF18, 2007 RU12, 18736|
|J46||Montana Blanca Obs. in the Canary Islands, 1 in MPEC 2007-X54 -- 66272|
|J69||North Obs. in England, 1 in MPEC 2007-X54 -- 2007 XN16|
|B49||Paus Obs. in Spain, 1 in MPEC 2007-X54 -- 54401|
|H062||Robert Hutsebaut in Belgium via RAS Obs. Mayhill in New Mexico, 1 in MPEC 2007-X55 -- 2007 XF18|
|6739||Heath Rhoades via Table Mtn. Obs. in southern California, 1 in MPEC 2007-X55 -- 2007 XF18|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 13 December '07
Notes for Today's Latest Risk Assessments
|2007 XF18||JPL Sentry||1558||2023-2105||39||1.0e-07||-4.22||-4.84||0||JPL: "Analysis based on 16 observations spanning 1.2068 days (2007-Dec-12.20514 to 2007-Dec-13.41191)." Diameter approximately 0.270 km. from mean, weighted H=20.5.|
An impact solution, also known as a "virtual impactor" (VI), is not a prediction but rather a possibility derived from a variant orbit calculation that cannot be eliminated yet based on the existing data. Elimination can come quickly with just a little further observation or may take weeks or months, sometimes years. Once superceded or eliminated, a former impact solution has zero relevance to an object's risk. See Jon Giorgini's "Understanding Risk Pages" to learn more.
Chronology on 13 December '07
Times are UTC for when items were noted or added by The Tracking News.
|2354||The NEOCP has become active|
|1558||Noted that JPL Sentry has posted 2007 XF18 as an impact risk - see above|
|1342||Grabbed MPEC 2007-X54 - Daily Orbit Update - see above|
Grabbed MPEC 2007-X55 - 2007 XF18 - see above
The NEOCP has become empty
|0037||The NEOCP has become active|