Contents on 28 October '07
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- two objects reported
- Consolidated Risk Tables - CRT page
- Old & new CRT Archive
- Ephemerides for risk-rated objects
- Old News Archive & Small Objects Archive
Note: Due to travel, this Web site and its news pages will update less frequently and at sometimes irregular intervals during the rest of October and early November.
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days this year through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
NEOCP Activity on 28 October '07
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 4 listings: 4 updated
When last checked at 2343 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's NEO discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had four updated listings.
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object by Birtwhistle et al. at Suno Observatory.
New MPECs on 28 October '07
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2354 UTC, there has been one MPEC issued today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Observations of risk-listed objects
- K07U01Y 2007 UY1 (small asteroid, arc=9 days, H=22.9 ~89m) from Magdalena Ridge Obs. (MRO) (Oct. 27.14-15p5)
- K07T71D 2007 TD71 (i=49.7°, arc=14 days, H=18.4 ~708m) from the Siding Spring Survey (SSS) (Oct. 27.54p1 & 27.60p1)
- Observations of recently (no longer) risk-listed objects
- K07T66C 2007 TC66 (arc=15 days, H=19.4 ~446m) from SSS (Oct. 27.60-61p2)
- K07T23B 2007 TB23 (i=38.3°, arc=14 days, H=18.6 ~645m) from the Mt. Lemmon Survey (MLS) (Oct. 24.30-31p4)
- K07T18X 2007 TX18 (arc=15 days, H=17.3 ~1.17 km) from MLS (Oct. 24.32-34p3)
- K07S00J 2007 SJ (arc=38 days, H=16.4 ~1.78 km) from MLS (Oct. 25.16-19p4)
- Observations of other objects
- K07T25G 2007 TG25 (arc=16 days, H=18.9 ~562m) from MLS (Oct. 24.29-31p4)
- K07T24R 2007 TR24 (arc=18 days, H=20.4 ~282m) from SSS (Oct. 27.58-59p2)
- K07T19A 2007 TA19 (arc=18 days, H=19.6 ~407m) from SSS (Oct. 27.52-53p2)
- K07T15G 2007 TG15 (arc=16 days, H=19.6 ~407m) from New Millennium Obs. (Oct. 21.86-89p10) and MLS (Oct. 24.22-23p4)
- K07T08K 2007 TK8 (arc=17 days, H=21.0 ~214m) from MLS (Oct. 24.22-24p4)
- K07S11V 2007 SV11 (arc=28 days, H=18.0 ~851m) from MLS (Oct. 24.10p4)
- K07P09P 2007 PP9 (arc=75 days, H=21.3 ~186m) from MLS (Oct. 25.34-36p4)
Observers on 28 October '07
Four observing facilities appear in today's MPEC.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|H01||Magdalena Ridge Obs. in New Mexico, 1 in MPEC 2007-U80 -- 2007 UY1|
|G96||Mt. Lemmon Survey (MLS) in Arizona, 8 in MPEC 2007-U80 -- 2007 TX18, 2007 TK8, 2007 TG25, 2007 TG15, 2007 TB23, 2007 SV11, 2007 SJ, 2007 PP9|
|A24||New Millennium Obs. in Italy, 1 in MPEC 2007-U80 -- 2007 TG15|
|E12||Siding Spring Survey (SSS) in New South Wales, 4 in MPEC 2007-U80 -- 2007 TR24, 2007 TD71, 2007 TC66, 2007 TA19|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 28 October '07
Notes for Today's Latest Risk Assessments
|2007 UY1||JPL Sentry||1117||2097-2107||2||2.4e-09||-8.03||-8.11||0||JPL: "Analysis based on 38 observations spanning 9.0080 days (2007-Oct-18.14415 to 2007-Oct-27.15213)." Diameter approximately 0.092 km. from mean, weighted H=22.8.|
|NEODyS||1117||R E M O V E D|
|2007 TD71||NEODyS||1117||R E M O V E D|
|JPL Sentry||1117||R E M O V E D||JPL: Risk listing removed at 1009 UTC.|
An impact solution, also known as a "virtual impactor" (VI), is not a prediction but rather a possibility derived from a variant orbit calculation that cannot be eliminated yet based on the existing data. Elimination can come quickly with just a little further observation or may take weeks or months, sometimes years. Once superceded or eliminated, a former impact solution has zero relevance to an object's risk. See Jon Giorgini's "Understanding Risk Pages" to learn more.
Chronology on 28 October '07
Times are UTC for when the items were noted or added by The Tracking News.
|1117||Noted that JPL Sentry has removed 2007 TD71 as an impact risk - see above|
Noted that NEODyS has removed 2007 TD71 as an impact risk - see above
Noted that JPL Sentry has updated its 2007 UY1 risk assessment - see above
Noted that NEODyS has removed 2007 UY1 as an impact risk - see above
Grabbed MPEC 2007-U80 - Daily Orbit Update - see above