Contents on 7 October '07
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- two objects reported
Notes: Until September 16th this daily news page, which had included links to news and science papers as well as some occasional original reporting, was called Major News About Minor Objects. Without the news-link and science-link sections, this page was renamed as The Tracking News to more accurately reflect its continuing purpose.
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days this year through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
NEOCP Activity on 7 October '07
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 6 listings: 2 new, 4 updated
When last checked at 1608 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's NEO discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had two new and four updated listings. All of these were "one nighters." So far Tracking News has counted a total of seven objects listed on the NEOCP at some point today.
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object by Birtwhistle et al. at Suno Observatory.
New MPECs on 7 October '07
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 1608 UTC, there have been two MPECs issued today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- MPEC 2007-T23 time-stamped "06:07 UT" - Daily Orbit Update - see below
- MPEC 2007-T24 time-stamped "15:38 UT" - 2007 TH3
MPEC 2007-T24 - "15:38 UT" - 2007 TH3
- K07T03H 2007 TH3 (small asteroid, Earth MOID=5.5 LD, H=24.7 ~39m) was discovered at 0340 UT 06 Oct. by LINEAR, which observed it at Oct. 6.15-20p5. The discovery was confirmed by Remanzacco Obs. (Oct. 6.00p2), the Catalina Sky Survey (CSS) (Oct. 7.10-12p4), Grasslands Obs. (Oct. 7.21p3), and Cordell-Lorenz Obs. (Oct. 7.23-26p3).
- Observations of risk-listed objects
- K07T01H 2007 TH1 (small asteroid, arc=2 days, H=22.1 ~129m) from Heidelberg-Konigstuhl Obs. (Oct. 6.86-87p5)
- K07S11R 2007 SR11 (almost small, Q=4.450 AU, arc=10 days, H=21.9 ~141m) from the Spacewatch 1.8m telescope (Oct. 6.35-36p3)
- Observations of recently (no longer) risk-listed objects
- K07S00J 2007 SJ (arc=19 days, H=16.3 ~1.86 km) from Desert Moon Obs. (Oct. 6.18-20p3)
- K07R01E 2007 RE1 (almost small, Q=4.266 AU, arc=34 days, H=22.0 ~135m) from Heidelberg-Konigstuhl Obs. (Oct. 6.76-77p3)
- Observations of small asteroids (H>22.0)
- K07T00D 2007 TD (q=0.320 AU, arc=3 days, H=24.4 ~45m) from the Siding Spring Survey (SSS) (Oct. 5.39p2)
- K07R17R 2007 RR17 (arc=23 days, H=23.6 ~65m) from Astronomical Research Obs. (ARO) (Oct. 6.31-33p3)
- K07R08Z 2007 RZ8 (arc=27 days, H=23.8 ~59m) from Spacewatch 1.8m (Oct. 6.39-40p2)
- K07R01G 2007 RG1 (arc=33 days, H=25.8 ~23m) from ARO (Oct. 6.18-22p3 at V=22.5-6)
- K00T01H 2000 TH1 (arc=2 opp, H=22.6 ~102m) from LINEAR (Oct. 6.21-25p5)
- Observations of other objects
- K07S02W 2007 SW2 (arc=16 days, H=21.3 ~186m) from Desert Moon Obs. (Oct. 6.26-27p3)
- K07R20D 2007 RD20 (arc=22 days, H=21.1 ~204m) from Desert Moon Obs. (Oct. 6.47-49p3)
- K07R17U 2007 RU17 (q=0.355 AU, arc=23 days, H=18.3 ~741m) from Desert Moon Obs. (Oct. 6.37-38p3)
- K07R12R 2007 RR12 (arc=19 days, H=19.8 ~371m) from Lumijoki Obs. (Sept. 21.94p4)
- K07R10U 2007 RU10 (arc=25 days, H=18.9 ~562m) from Desert Moon Obs. (Oct. 6.11-14p3)
- K07Q02K 2007 QK2 (arc=46 days, H=20.6 ~257m) from LINEAR (Oct. 6.15-19p5)
- K07H15E 2007 HE15 (arc=167 days, H=19.7 ~389m) from Madonna di Dossobuono Obs. (Oct. 6.87-88p3)
- K04V00V 2004 VV (i=52.4°, arc=3 opp, H=17.2 ~1.23 km) from Desert Moon Obs. (Oct. 6.08p3)
- K01R47Y 2001 RY47 (arc=3 opp, H=19.4 ~446m) from LINEAR (Oct. 6.20-25p5)
- A0756 100756 1998 FM5 from LINEAR (Oct. 6.20-25p5)
- 66407 66407 1999 LQ28 from SSS (Oct. 6.77-78p2)
- 16816 16816 1997 UF9 from SSS (Oct. 6.68-71p4)
- 04954 4954 Eric (1990 SQ) from North Obs. (Oct. 5.82-83p3)
- 04486 4486 Mithra (1987 SB) from LINEAR (Oct. 6.31-35p4)
- 02212 2212 Hephaistos (1978 SB) from LINEAR (Oct. 6.26-31p5)
Observers on 7 October '07
Thirteen observing facilities appear in today's MPECs.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|H55||Astronomical Research Obs. (ARO) in Illinois, 2 in MPEC 2007-T23 -- 2007 RR17, 2007 RG1|
|703||Catalina Sky Survey in Arizona, 1 in MPEC 2007-T24 -- 2007 TH3|
|850||Cordell-Lorenz Obs. in Tennessee, 1 in MPEC 2007-T24 -- 2007 TH3|
|448||Desert Moon Obs. in New Mexico, 6 in MPEC 2007-T23 -- 2007 SW2, 2007 SJ, 2007 RU17, 2007 RU10, 2007 RD20, 2004 VV|
|651||Grasslands Obs. in Arizona, 1 in MPEC 2007-T24 -- 2007 TH3|
|024||Heidelberg-Konigstuhl Obs. in Germany, 2 in MPEC 2007-T23 -- 2007 TH1, 2007 RE1|
|704||LINEAR in New Mexico, 7 in MPECs 2007-T23 & 2007-T24 -- 2007 TH3, 2007 QK2, 2001 RY47, 2000 TH1, 100756, 4486, 2212|
|A70||Lumijoki Obs. in Finland, 1 in MPEC 2007-T23 -- 2007 RR12|
|560||Madonna di Dossobuono Obs. in Italy, 1 in MPEC 2007-T23 -- 2007 HE15|
|J69||North Obs. in England, 1 in MPEC 2007-T23 -- 4954|
|473||Remanzacco Obs. in Italy, 1 in MPEC 2007-T24 -- 2007 TH3|
|E12||Siding Spring Survey (SSS) in New South Wales, 3 in MPEC 2007-T23 -- 2007 TD, 66407, 16816|
|291||Spacewatch 1.8m telescope in Arizona, 2 in MPEC 2007-T23 -- 2007 SR11, 2007 RZ8|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 7 October '07
Notes for Today's Latest Risk Assessments
|2007 TH1||JPL||1421||R E M O V E D||JPL: Risk listing removed at 1020 UTC.|
|NEODyS||1421||R E M O V E D|
|2007 SR11||JPL||1421||R E M O V E D||JPL: Risk listing removed at 1026 UTC.|
An impact solution, also known as a "virtual impactor" (VI), is not a prediction but rather a possibility derived from an orbit calculation that cannot be eliminated yet based on the existing data. Elimination can come quickly with just a little further observation or may take weeks or months, sometimes years. Once superceded or eliminated, a former impact solution has zero relevance to an object's risk. See Jon Giorgini's "Understanding Risk Pages" for more about this.
Chronology on 7 October '07
Times are UTC for when the items were noted or added by Tracking News.
|1608||Grabbed MPEC 2007-T24 - 2007 TH3 - see above|
|1422||Grabbed MPEC 2007-T23 - Daily Orbit Update - see above|
|1421||Noted that JPL has removed 2007 SR11 as an impact risk - see above|
Noted that JPL has removed 2007 TH1 as an impact risk - see above
Noted that NEODyS has removed 2007 TH1 as an impact risk - see above