Contents on 1 October '07
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
Notes: Until September 16th this daily news page, which had included links to news and science papers as well as some occasional original reporting, was called Major News About Minor Objects. Without the news-link and science-link sections, this page was renamed as The Tracking News to more accurately reflect its continuing purpose.
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days this year through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
NEOCP Activity on 1 October '07
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 4 listings: 1 new, 3 updated
When last checked at 2355 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's NEO discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had one new and three updated listings. Of these, one was a "one nighter." So far Tracking News has counted a total of five objects listed on the NEOCP at some point today.
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object by Birtwhistle et al. at Suno Observatory.
New MPECs on 1 October '07
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2355 UTC, there have been two MPECs issued today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- MPEC 2007-T01 time-stamped "06:05 UT" - Daily Orbit Update - see below
- MPEC 2007-T02 time-stamped "17:09 UT" - 2007 SV11
MPEC 2007-T02 - "17:09 UT" - 2007 SV11
- K07S11V 2007 SV11 (H=18.0 ~851m) was discovered at 0254 UT 27 Sept. by the Mt. Lemmon Survey (MLS), which observed it at Sept. 27.12-16p8. The discovery was confirmed by Lulin Minor Bodies Tracking (LIMIT) (Sept. 27.51p2), Alter Satzberg Obs. (Sept. 29.74-78p6 & 30.75-78p4), KLENOT (Sept. 30.74-75p8), Remanzacco Obs. (Sept. 30.80-82p3), and Farpoint Obs. (Oct. 1.05-07p5).
- Observations of recently (no longer) risk-listed objects
- K07S06Q 2007 SQ6 (almost small, arc=9 days, H=21.8 ~148m) from KLENOT (Sept. 30.78p5) and Begues Obs. (Sept. 30.80-82p4)
- K07R12T 2007 RT12 (small asteroid, arc=18 days, H=23.8 ~59m) from the Spacewatch 1.8m telescope (Sept. 30.27-28p3)
- Observations of small asteroids (H>22.0)
- K07S11G 2007 SG11 (arc=7 days, H=22.8 ~93m) from University Hills Obs. (Sept. 30.26-27p6), Dresden Obs. (Sept. 30.82-85p8), Balzaretto Obs. (Sept. 30.83-88p5), Madonna di Dossobuono Obs. (Sept. 30.87-88p4), Remanzacco Obs. (Sept. 30.90p3), and Begues Obs. (Sept. 30.90p4)
- Observations of other objects
- K07S01R 2007 SR1 (arc=12 days, H=19.4 ~446m) from Spacewatch 1.8m (Sept. 30.21-22p3) and Jim Young via Table Mtn. Obs. (Sept. 30.28-29p4)
- K07RD3L 2007 RL133 (arc=16 days, H=20.2 ~309m) from Young/Table Mtn. (Sept. 30.30-32p4) and Desert Moon Obs. (Sept. 30.34-35p2)
- K07R17V 2007 RV17 (arc=18 days, H=19.0 ~537m) from Desert Moon Obs. (Sept. 30.39-41p3)
- K07R17U 2007 RU17 (q=0.353 AU, arc=17 days, H=18.2 ~776m) from Spacewatch 1.8m (Sept. 30.23-24p3), Young/Table Mtn. (Sept. 30.25-27p4), and Desert Moon Obs. (Sept. 30.31p2)
- K07R12R 2007 RR12 (arc=19 days, H=19.8 ~371m) from Alter Satzberg Obs. (Sept. 30.86-87p4)
- K07R05F 2007 RF5 (arc=25 days, H=18.4 ~708m) from University Hills Obs. (Sept. 30.36-37p7), Begues Obs. (Sept. 30.94-95p3), and Peschiera del Garda Obs. (Sept. 30.95-97p4)
- K07P11U 2007 PU11 (Q=4.384 AU, arc=3 opp, H=16.3 ~1.86 km) from Begues Obs. (Sept. 30.96p3)
- K07P08E 2007 PE8 (arc=139 days, H=19.4 ~446m) from Madonna di Dossobuono Obs. (Sept. 30.82p3)
- K07O00V 2007 OV (arc=76 days, H=19.2 ~490m) from Begues Obs. (Sept. 30.89p4)
- K07L32R 2007 LR32 (arc=128 days, H=17.2 ~1.23 km) from Peschiera del Garda Obs. (Sept. 21.91-94p4 & 30.87-89p2), University Hills Obs. (Sept. 30.25p6), and Madonna di Dossobuono Obs. (Sept. 30.84p3)
- K07D41A 2007 DA41 (arc=3 opp, H=17.6 ~1.02 km) from Remanzacco Obs. (Sept. 30.85-88p4)
- K04D44M 2004 DM44 (Q=4.238 AU, arc=2 opp, H=20.7 ~245m) from Spacewatch 1.8m (Sept. 30.25-26p3)
- K02RB8C 2002 RC118 (Q=4.624 AU, arc=2 opp, H=16.8 ~1.48 km) from Begues Obs. (Sept. 30.96-97p3)
- J97U09S 1997 US9 (arc=5 opp, H=17.3 ~1.17 km) from Desert Moon Obs. (Sept. 30.44-48p3)
- G3902 163902 2003 SW222 from Peschiera del Garda Obs. (Sept. 21.86-89p3)
- F4453 154453 2003 CJ11 from New Millennium Obs. (May 8.85-88p4)
- E5656 145656 4788 P-L from New Millennium Obs. (May 8.87-89p4)
- 86829 86829 2000 GR146 from New Millennium Obs. (May 8.91-93p4)
- 40267 40267 1999 GJ4 from New Millennium Obs. (May 8.86-88p3)
- 05143 5143 Heracles (1991 VL) from Spacewatch 1.8m (Sept. 30.25-26p3) and KLENOT (Sept. 30.79p1)
Observers on 1 October '07
Sixteen observing facilities appear in today's MPECs.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|B03||Alter Satzberg Obs. in Austria, 2 in MPECs 2007-T01 & 2007-T02 -- 2007 SV11, 2007 RR12|
|A81||Balzaretto Obs. in Italy, 1 in MPEC 2007-T01 -- 2007 SG11|
|170||Begues Obs. in Spain, 6 in MPEC 2007-T01 -- 2007 SQ6, 2007 SG11, 2007 RF5, 2007 PU11, 2007 OV, 2002 RC118|
|448||Desert Moon Obs. in New Mexico, 4 in MPEC 2007-T01 -- 2007 RV17, 2007 RU17, 2007 RL133, 1997 US9|
|639||Dresden Obs. in Germany, 1 in MPEC 2007-T01 -- 2007 SG11|
|734||Farpoint Obs. in Kansas, 1 in MPEC 2007-T02 -- 2007 SV11|
|246||KLENOT in the Czech Republic, 3 in MPECs 2007-T01 & 2007-T02 -- 2007 SV11, 2007 SQ6, 5143|
|D35||Lulin Minor Bodies Tracking in Taiwan, 1 in MPEC 2007-T02 -- 2007 SV11|
|560||Madonna di Dossobuono Obs. in Italy, 3 in MPEC 2007-T01 -- 2007 SG11, 2007 PE8, 2007 LR32|
|G96||Mt. Lemmon Survey in Arizona, 1 in MPEC 2007-T02 -- 2007 SV11|
|A24||New Millennium Obs. in Italy, 4 in MPEC 2007-T01 -- 86829, 40267, 154453, 145656|
|A53||Peschiera del Garda Obs. in Italy, 3 in MPEC 2007-T01 -- 2007 RF5, 2007 LR32, 163902|
|473||Remanzacco Obs. in Italy, 3 in MPECs 2007-T01 & 2007-T02 -- 2007 SV11, 2007 SG11, 2007 DA41|
|291||Spacewatch 1.8m telescope in Arizona, 5 in MPEC 2007-T01 -- 2007 SR1, 2007 RU17, 2007 RT12, 2004 DM44, 5143|
|6735||Jim Young via Table Mtn. Obs. in southern California, 3 in MPEC 2007-T01 -- 2007 SR1, 2007 RU17, 2007 RL133|
|G72||University Hills Obs. in southern California, 3 in MPEC 2007-T01 -- 2007 SG11, 2007 RF5, 2007 LR32|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 1 October '07
At last check (NEODyS and JPL at 2355 UTC) there was no risk monitoring news to report yet today. See the CRT for activity in the last month.