Contents on 24 June '07
- Minor-Object News -- one item
- Minor-Object Science -- none yet today
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
WELCOME to A/CC's prototype daily news publication designed to be the viewing end of a planned autonomous 24-hour news service. The new tools and this publication format are working well enough now to share with readers. It is expected that this approach will require less time to maintain than our previous news and small asteroid pages, which were retired on May 14th. There's still more development ahead and there probably will be some glitches along the way, but this is what's needed to keep up with the increasing pace of minor-object news. The CRT page will be maintained separately for a little while longer, until all of this is working smoothly. And the CRT and small-asteroid ephemerides will be kept going.
Minor-Object News on 24 June '07
- "Wildfire near Madera Canyon nearing full control," AP at KVOA-TV 24 June - Quote: "About 70 people who live in Madera Canyon and workers at the Mount Hopkins Observatory were briefly evacuated but went home last night."
NEOCP Activity on 24 June '07
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 9 listings: 5 new, 4 updated
When last checked at 2041 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's NEO discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had five new and four updated listings. Of these, five were "one nighters." So far Major News has counted a total of thirteen objects listed on the NEOCP at some point today.
New MPECs on 24 June '07
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2344 UTC, there have been five MPECs issued today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- MPEC 2007-M35 time-stamped "03:47 UT" - 2007 MJ13 - see below
- MPEC 2007-M36 time-stamped "06:06 UT" - Daily Orbit Update - see below
- MPEC 2007-M37 time-stamped "15:12 UT" - 2007 MK13 - see below
- MPEC 2007-M38 time-stamped "15:14 UT" - 2007 ML13 - see below
- MPEC 2007-M39 time-stamped "15:16 UT" - 2007 MM13
MPEC 2007-M39 - "15:16 UT" - 2007 MM13
- K07M13M 2007 MM13 (i=38.0°, H=17.6 ~1.02 km) was discovered at 0544 UT 23 June by the Catalina Sky Survey (CSS), which observed it at June 23.24-25p4, 23.31-32p4, and 24.23p4. The discovery was confirmed by New Millennium Obs. (June 23.89-93p19), Alter Satzberg Obs. (June 23.97-98p4), Dark Roseanne Obs. (June 24.11-14p3), LAMP Obs. (June 24.22-23p3), Jim Young via Table Mtn. Obs. (June 24.24-26p4), and Powell Obs. (June 24.31p5).
MPEC 2007-M38 - "15:14 UT" - 2007 ML13
- K07M13L 2007 ML13 (H=20.2 ~309m) was discovered at 0752 UT 22 June by CSS, which observed it at June 22.33-42p8 and 23.31-32p4. The discovery was confirmed by Cordell-Lorenz Obs. (June 23.25p1 & 23.30-34p3), Young/Table Mtn. (June 23.30-31p4 & 24.26-27p4), Vallemare di Borbona Obs. (June 23.88-90p3), Alter Satzberg Obs. (June 23.91-94p4), Sandlot Obs. (June 24.33-37p3), and the Lulin Sky Survey (LUSS) (June 24.57-58p3).
MPEC 2007-M37 - "15:12 UT" - 2007 MK13
- K07M13K 2007 MK13 (H=20.0 ~339m) was discovered at 0952 UT 21 June by CSS, which observed it at June 21.41-46p12 and 22.43p4. The discovery was confirmed by Grasslands Obs. (June 22.39p3) and the Mt. Lemmon Survey (MLS) (June 22.46-47p3).
- Observations of small asteroids (H>22.0)
- K07L00T 2007 LT (arc=15 days, H=22.5 ~107m) from Alter Satzberg Obs. (June 24.00-02p3)
- Observations of other objects
- K07M04C 2007 MC4 (arc=5 days, H=21.1 ~204m) from Parma Obs. (June 23.93-94p3)
- K07M00H 2007 MH (arc=5 days, H=21.0 ~214m) from the Siding Spring Survey (SSS) (June 22.61-62p5)
- K07M00G 2007 MG (arc=6 days, H=21.0 ~214m) from Pla D'Arguines Obs. (June 22.95p3), the Spacewatch 1.8m telescope (June 23.23-24p3), and the Spacewatch 0.9m telescope (June 23.31-34p3)
- K07L08V 2007 LV8 (arc=12 days, H=20.1 ~323m) from Peschiera del Garda Obs. (June 21.87-89p3 & 23.98-00p3), LAMP Obs. (June 23.19-20p2), and Parma Obs. (June 23.97-99p4)
- K07L00F 2007 LF (arc=17 days, H=20.5 ~269m) from Peschiera del Garda Obs. (June 19.92-93p2) and Alter Satzberg Obs. (June 24.03-04p3)
- K07L00E 2007 LE (arc=16 days, H=19.2 ~490m) from SSS (June 23.44-46p4)
- K07F42V 2007 FV42 (arc=96 days, H=17.9 ~891m) from Mataro Obs. (June 16.01-02p3) and Peschiera del Garda Obs. (June 21.94-96p4 & 24.02-04p4)
- K07F01K 2007 FK1 (arc=93 days, H=20.2 ~309m) from Greiner Research Obs. (April 6.27-32p3)
- K07D08F 2007 DF8 (arc=123 days, H=20.4 ~282m) from Iluro Obs. (June 23.09-11p5) and Peschiera del Garda Obs. (June 24.08p3)
- K06V02V 2006 VV2 (arc=2 opp, H=16.8 ~1.48 km) from SSS (June 22.47-49p3)
- K06K89E 2006 KE89 (i=45.1°, q=0.211 AU, arc=3 opp, H=16.5 ~1.70 km) from LAMP Obs. (June 23.23-25p3)
- K05W57H 2005 WH57 (i=40.4°, arc=2 opp, H=19.4 ~446m) from Spacewatch 1.8m (June 23.26-27p3 at V=22.2)
- F2895 152895 2000 CQ101 from SSS (June 23.47-48p3)
- D6874 136874 1998 FH74 from CSS (June 23.26-28p4)
- D6818 136818 1997 MW1 from Iluro Obs. (June 23.05-06p3)
- A8519 108519 2001 LF from SSS (June 22.53-56p4)
- 26166 26166 1995 QN3 from CSS (June 23.38-40p4)
- 02102 2102 Tantalus (1975 YA) from SSS (June 23.76-79p4)
- 01685 1685 Toro (1948 OA) from SSS (June 23.51-53p4)
- 00433 433 Eros (1898 DQ) from SSS (June 23.66-69p4)
MPEC 2007-M35 - "03:47 UT" - 2007 MJ13
- K07M13J 2007 MJ13 (small asteroid, Earth MOID=2.6 LD, H=24.6 ~41m) was discovered at 0409 UT 20 June by LINEAR, which observed it at June 20.17-20p4 and 21.18-22p5. The discovery was confirmed by Powell Obs. (June 22.17p8), Grasslands Obs. (June 22.21p4), Young/Table Mtn. (June 22.29-30p4), and Alter Satzberg Obs. (June 23.88-89p3).
Observers on 24 June '07
A total of 23 observing facilities appear in today's MPECs.
|B03||Alter Satzberg Obs. in Austria, 5 in MPECs 2007-M35, 2007-M36, 2007-M38 & 2007-M39 -- 2007 MM13, 2007 ML13, 2007 LT, 2007 LF, 2007 MJ13|
|703||Catalina Sky Survey in Arizona, 5 in MPECs 2007-M36, 2007-M37, 2007-M38 & 2007-M39 -- 2007 MM13, 2007 ML13, 2007 MK13, 136874, 26166|
|850||Cordell-Lorenz Obs. in Tennessee, 1 in MPEC 2007-M38 -- 2007 ML13|
|H98||Dark Roseanne Obs. in Connecticut, 1 in MPEC 2007-M39 -- 2007 MM13|
|651||Grasslands Obs. in Arizona, 2 in MPECs 2007-M35 & 2007-M37 -- 2007 MK13, 2007 MJ13|
|H51||Greiner Research Obs. in Wisconsin, 1 in MPEC 2007-M36 -- 2007 FK1|
|B19||Iluro Obs. in Spain, 2 in MPEC 2007-M36 -- 2007 DF8, 136818|
|G88||LAMP Obs. in Arizona, 3 in MPECs 2007-M36 & 2007-M39 -- 2007 MM13, 2007 LV8, 2006 KE89|
|704||LINEAR in New Mexico, 1 in MPEC 2007-M35 -- 2007 MJ13|
|D35||Lulin Sky Survey in Taiwan, 1 in MPEC 2007-M38 -- 2007 ML13|
|A06||Mataro Obs. in Spain, 1 in MPEC 2007-M36 -- 2007 FV42|
|G96||Mt. Lemmon Survey in Arizona, 1 in MPEC 2007-M37 -- 2007 MK13|
|A24||New Millennium Obs. in Italy, 1 in MPEC 2007-M39 -- 2007 MM13|
|A56||Parma Obs. in Italy, 2 in MPEC 2007-M36 -- 2007 MC4, 2007 LV8|
|A53||Peschiera del Garda Obs. in Italy, 4 in MPEC 2007-M36 -- 2007 LV8, 2007 LF, 2007 FV42, 2007 DF8|
|941||Pla D'Arguines Obs. in Spain, 1 in MPEC 2007-M36 -- 2007 MG|
|649||Powell Obs. in Kansas, 2 in MPECs 2007-M35 & 2007-M39 -- 2007 MM13, 2007 MJ13|
|H36||Sandlot Obs. in Kansas, 1 in MPEC 2007-M38 -- 2007 ML13|
|E12||Siding Spring Survey in New South Wales, 8 in MPEC 2007-M36 -- 2007 MH, 2007 LE, 2006 VV2, 152895, 108519, 2102, 1685, 433|
|691||Spacewatch 0.9m telescope in Arizona, 1 in MPEC 2007-M36 -- 2007 MG|
|291||Spacewatch 1.8m telescope in Arizona, 2 in MPEC 2007-M36 -- 2007 MG, 2005 WH57|
|6735||Jim Young via Table Mtn. Obs. in southern California, 3 in MPECs 2007-M35, 2007-M38 & 2007-M39 -- 2007 MM13, 2007 ML13, 2007 MJ13|
|A55||Vallemare di Borbona Obs. in Italy, 1 in MPEC 2007-M38 -- 2007 ML13|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 24 June '07
At last check (NEODyS and JPL at 2344 UTC) there was no risk monitoring news to report yet today.
Chronology on 24 June '07
Times are UTC for when the items were noted by Major News.
|1631||Added link to news story, "Wildfire near Madera Canyon nearing full control"|
|1611||Grabbed MPEC 2007-M37 - 2007 MK13 - see above|
Grabbed MPEC 2007-M38 - 2007 ML13 - see above
Grabbed MPEC 2007-M39 - 2007 MM13 - see above
|1310||Grabbed MPEC 2007-M35 - 2007 MJ13 - see above|
Grabbed MPEC 2007-M36 - Daily Orbit Update - see above