Contents on 29 May '07
- Minor-Object News -- two items
- Minor-Object Science -- two papers
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
WELCOME to A/CC's prototype daily news publication designed to be the viewing end of a planned autonomous 24-hour news service. The new tools and this publication format are working well enough now to share with readers. It is expected that this approach will require less time to maintain than our previous news and small asteroid pages, which were retired on May 14th. There's still more development ahead and there probably will be some glitches along the way, but this is what's needed to keep up with the increasing pace of minor-object news. The CRT page will be maintained separately for a little while longer, until all of this is working smoothly. And the CRT and small-asteroid ephemerides will be kept going.
Minor-Object News on 29 May '07
- "Small Stars Create Big Fuss," Space.com 29 May - Quote: "The discovery also raises the possibility that large gas giant planets like Jupiter or Saturn might also have been gushers some time early in their history." - Note: See also ESO's May 23rd news release and the abstract, from which the article PDF can be downloaded.
- "Meteorites hit near Redwater," Edmontson Sun 29 May - Quote: "The fireball that passed over Edmonton Friday night may have left more behind than experts originally thought."
Minor-Object Science on 29 May '07
- "Physical effects of collisions in the Kuiper belt" by Leinhardt, Zoe M. with Sarah T. Stewart & Peter H. Schultz, abstract & PDF at arXiv.org 29 May - Quote: "[We] present the current state of knowledge of the physics of cratering and disruptive collisions in KBO analog materials."
- "Global models of turbulence in protoplanetary disks I. A cylindrical potential on a Cartesian grid and transport of solids" by Lyra, W. with A. Johansen, H. Klahr & N. Piskunov, abstract & PDF at arXiv.org 29 May - Quote: "We also study the dynamics of boulders in the hydromagnetic turbulence."
NEOCP Activity on 29 May '07
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 2 listings: 1 updated, 1 comet
When last checked at 2356 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's NEO discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had one updated and one comet listing. Of these, none were "one nighters." Major News counted a total of four objects listed on the NEOCP at some point on this day.
New MPECs on 29 May '07
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
There were six MPECs issued this day from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- MPEC 2007-K61 time-stamped "06:09 UT" - Daily Orbit Update - see below
- MPEC 2007-K62 time-stamped "10:45 UT" - 2007 KF7 - see below
- MPEC 2007-K63 time-stamped "10:47 UT" - 2007 KG7 - see below
- MPEC 2007-K64 time-stamped "10:50 UT" - 2007 KH7 - see below
- MPEC 2007-K65 time-stamped "21:46 UT" - Comets C/2004 J20, 2007 A7, 2007 C7, 2007 C8, 2007 C9, 2007 C10 (SOHO) - see below
- MPEC 2007-K66 time-stamped "21:55 UT" - Comets C/2007 C11, 2007 C12, 2007 C13, 2007 D4, 2007 E4 (SOHO)
MPEC 2007-K66 - "21:55 UT" - Comets C/2007 C11, 2007 C12, 2007 C13, 2007 D4, 2007 E4 (SOHO)
- CK07E040 C/2007 E4 from the LASCO Coronagraph 3 on the Solar & Heliospheric Obs. (SOHO) (March 2.90-93p4 & 2.97-05p10)
- CK07D040 C/2007 D4 from SOHO C3 (Feb. 16.61-93p28 & 16.97-03p8)
- CK07C130 C/2007 C13 from SOHO C3 (Feb. 14.65-70p4, 14.74-78p6, 14.85-93p10, 14.99-14p16, 15.18-86p64 & 15.90-93p4) and the LASCO Coronagraph 2 on the Solar & Heliospheric Obs. (SOHO) (Feb. 15.98-08p18)
- CK07C120 C/2007 C12 from SOHO C3 (Feb. 8.40-93p48 & 8.97-07p10)
- CK07C110 C/2007 C11 from SOHO C3 (Feb. 7.74p2, 7.82-93p10, 7.97-03p8 & 8.07-57p42)
MPEC 2007-K65 - "21:46 UT" - Comets C/2004 J20, 2007 A7, 2007 C7, 2007 C8, 2007 C9, 2007 C10 (SOHO)
- CK07C100 C/2007 C10 from SOHO C2 (Feb. 7.16-29p20)
- CK07C090 C/2007 C9 from SOHO C3 (Feb. 6.78p2, 6.86-90p6 & 7.01-03p4)
- CK07C080 C/2007 C8 from SOHO C3 (Feb. 5.82-93p12, 5.97-01p4 & 6.07p2)
- CK07C070 C/2007 C7 from SOHO C2 (Feb. 2.66-75p14)
- CK07A070 C/2007 A7 from SOHO C2 (Jan. 10.31-45p22)
- CK04J200 C/2004 J20 from SOHO C2 (2004 May 13.62-77p22)
MPEC 2007-K64 - "10:50 UT" - 2007 KH7
- K07K07H 2007 KH7 (Q=4.141 AU, H=16.2 ~1.95 km) was discovered at 1509 UT 26 May by the Siding Spring Survey (SSS), which observed it at May 26.63-66p4, 27.51p3, and 28.54-58p5.
MPEC 2007-K63 - "10:47 UT" - 2007 KG7
- K07K07G 2007 KG7 (q=0.250 AU, Earth MOID=4.2 LD, H=20.6 ~257m) was discovered at 0630 UT 26 May by the Mt. Lemmon Survey (MLS), which observed it at May 26.27-32p8, 26.39-40p4, and 27.20-21p4. The discovery was confirmed by the Lulin Sky Survey (LUSS) (May 26.69p4) and Jim Young via Table Mtn. Obs. (May 27.22-24p4).
MPEC 2007-K62 - "10:45 UT" - 2007 KF7
- K07K07F 2007 KF7 (small asteroid, H=24.9 ~35m) was discovered at 0818 UT 25 May by MLS, which observed it at May 25.35-37p7, 25.43p4, and 26.40p3. The discovery was confirmed by SSS (May 25.64p3 & 26.69-70p4) and Young/Table Mtn. (May 27.32-34p5).
- K07F42V 2007 FV42 (arc=67 days, H=17.8 ~933m) from Stia Obs. (May 12.84-86p3, 13.85-86p3 & 24.83-86p3)
- K07F01K 2007 FK1 (arc=69 days, H=20.2 ~309m) from Stia Obs. (May 13.82-83p3)
- K02K04F 2002 KF4 (i=37.2°, Q=4.571 AU, arc=3 opp, H=17.2 ~1.23 km) from Greiner Research Obs. (May 29.17p7)
- D6874 136874 1998 FH74 from La Puebla de Vallbona Obs. (Vallbona Obs.) (May 27.05p3)
Observers on 29 May '07
Eight observing facilities appeared in this day's MPECs.
|H51||Greiner Research Obs. in Wisconsin, 1 in MPEC 2007-K61 -- 2002 KF4|
|J67||La Puebla de Vallbona Obs. in Spain, 1 in MPEC 2007-K61 -- 136874|
|D35||Lulin Sky Survey in Taiwan, 1 in MPEC 2007-K63 -- 2007 KG7|
|G96||Mt. Lemmon Survey in Arizona, 2 in MPECs 2007-K62 & 2007-K63 -- 2007 KG7, 2007 KF7|
|E12||Siding Spring Survey in New South Wales, 2 in MPECs 2007-K62 & 2007-K64 -- 2007 KH7, 2007 KF7|
|2492||LASCO Coronagraph 2 via the Solar & Heliospheric Obs. in Earth-Sun L1 HALO orbit, 5 in MPECs 2007-K65 & 2007-K66 -- C/2007 C13, C/2007 C10, C/2007 C7, C/2007 A7, C/2004 J20|
|2493||LASCO Coronagraph 3 via the Solar & Heliospheric Obs. in Earth-Sun L1 HALO orbit, 7 in MPECs 2007-K65 & 2007-K66 -- C/2007 E4, C/2007 D4, C/2007 C13, C/2007 C12, C/2007 C11, C/2007 C9, C/2007 C8|
|A78||Stia Obs. in Italy, 2 in MPEC 2007-K61 -- 2007 FV42, 2007 FK1|
|6735||Jim Young via Table Mtn. Obs. in southern California, 2 in MPECs 2007-K62 & 2007-K63 -- 2007 KG7, 2007 KF7|
Chronology on 29 May '07
Times are UTC for when the items were noted by Major News.
|2218||Grabbed MPEC 2007-K65 - Comets C/2004 J20, 2007 A7, 2007 C7, 2007 C8, 2007 C9, 2007 C10 (SOHO) - see above|
Grabbed MPEC 2007-K66 - Comets C/2007 C11, 2007 C12, 2007 C13, 2007 D4, 2007 E4 (SOHO) - see above
|1855||Added link to news story, "Small Stars Create Big Fuss"|
|1452||Added link to news story, "Meteorites hit near Redwater"|
|1408||Added MOS paper, "Global models of turbulence in protoplanetary disks I. A cylindrical potential on a Cartesian grid and transport of solids" - see above|
Added MOS paper, "Physical effects of collisions in the Kuiper belt" - see above
|1403||Grabbed MPEC 2007-K61 - Daily Orbit Update - see above|
Grabbed MPEC 2007-K62 - 2007 KF7 - see above
Grabbed MPEC 2007-K63 - 2007 KG7 - see above
Grabbed MPEC 2007-K64 - 2007 KH7 - see above